Crisp vegetables wrapped in a soft, delicate crepe make this dish a healthy alternative to the fried spring roll. This version of lumpia (Filipino for spring roll) is prepared without frying and served fresh or sariwa with toasted peanut toppings and a sweet-savory sauce. This recipe cleverly replaces the traditional ubod or heart of a palm tree with puso ng saging or banana blossom which brings a unique flavor to this Filipino favorite.
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 cup banana blossoms, brined, washed, drained, cut into fine strips
- 1 tsp dark soy sauce
- 1 carrot, julienned or cut into thin strips
- 250 grams shrimps, cooked and drained
- 250 grams pork belly, cooked, chopped into fine strips (optional)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp PAMANA soy sauce
- 2 cups water
- 2 tbsp cornstarch, dissolved in 1/4 cup water
- cashews or peanuts, coarsely ground
- spring onions, to tie lumpia with
- garlic, coarsely chopped and fried
- In a wok, heat oil and sauté the garlic and shallots over medium heat until soft and caramelized.
- Add the banana blossom and stir fry for less than a minute.
- Pour in the dark soy sauce.
- Turn the heat off before mixing in the carrots, shrimps, pork belly, salt, and sugar. Set aside and let it cool.
- To make the batter, combine the cornstarch and water, then whisk in the beaten egg.
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat. Use a crepe pan, if you have one, or a flat non-stick pan.
- Thinly coat the pan with a little oil. Wipe off any excess with a paper towel.
- Pour just enough of the batter, quickly swirling until it spreads out to thinly and evenly cover the pan.
- This will make wafer-thin omelets or crepes.
- Transfer to a plate for rolling.
- Combine sugar, soy sauce, and water in a pot and boil for 3 minutes.
- Stir in the cornstarch mixture.
- Continue cooking until the sauce has thickened.
- Lay a crepe wrapper flat on a plate and place two tablespoons of the filling on the side closest to you.
- Carefully fold the sides towards the center, then roll up.
- Serve fresh with the garnish and sauce.