The Filipino Food Channel
No-Cook Microwave Afritada
No stove? No problem. As long as you have a microwave, a large mug, and a craving for Afritada, you can make this easy single serve recipe. Afritada is one of the four most common tomato-based Filipino stews – the other three being Kaldereta, Menudo, and Mechado. They’re also famously confused with each other. So while your mug is in the microwave, check out the Twitter thread that attempts to clear it all up.
Making this recipe? Show us and share it on social media with #SeafoodCityCooks.
Servings: 1 person
- 1 pack Pamana Afritada mix
- 1 tbsp water
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/8 cup onion, cubed
- 1/4 cup carrots, cubed
- 1/4 cup potatoes, cubed
- 1/8 cup bell pepper, cubed
- 1/8 cup green peas
- 1/2 cup chicken breast, cubed
- 1 large mug
- Stir the pack of Pamana Afritada Mix in water until fully dissolved. Set aside.
- Pour oil, garlic and onions into a large mug.
- Seal with a plastic wrap and microwave for 30 seconds.
- Pour the Afritada mixture, carrots, potatoes, bell peppers, and green peas into the mug.
- Seal with a plastic wrap then use a knife to poke holes through the cover. Microwave for 2 minutes.
- When finished, remove the plastic wrap and stir the ingredients.
- Add the chicken into the mug.
- Seal with the plastic wrap then microwave for another 2 minutes.
- Once done, remove the plastic wrap and dig in.