Creator and Owner of Savory Easy
What are two key ingredients for the perfect baking channel? Love and expertise. Weng, the woman at the heart of YouTube’s Savor Easy, definitely bakes with heaping portions of both.
“I really love baking,” Weng says with a warm smile. “[Even] when I was small, I really loved it.” She remembers a childhood surrounded by aunts who loved to bake. It was that time spent with them, learning to make Double Chocolate Cake, that helped inspire a lifelong love of baking.
In high school, Weng took basic baking classes. “[I learned] how to not overmix,” she says. “How to weigh and measure ingredients.” There she honed the essential techniques and recipes that would form the foundation of her expertise. She would later go on to build a cake artistry business, specializing in custom fondant cakes for birthdays and weddings.
Today she shares that love and expertise with her subscribers through weekly recipes on her channel. One of those recipes, the Special bibingka video with over half a million views, is featured on this page. bibingka is a sweet rice cake topped with slices of salted egg. “I grew up in Iloilo City where there’s two types of bibingka,” she says. “There’s the flat one which is sticky and the other one is the fluffy one.” As a true celebration of her hometown, her recipe is a unique hybrid of the two. “That’s a good combination of dessert,” Weng says about its sweet-savory blend.
When asked what she hopes to put her love and expertise into next, she pauses to ponder the question. “Maybe still sharing recipes or having a book,” she eventually says with a laugh. “I have a plan of making a dessert cafe, a coffee shop with cakes and desserts.”
Do not over mix. This risks your dough developing gluten, causing it to harden. Keep your bibingka fluffy by mixing only until the ingredients are combined.
- 2 egg
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cup glutinous rice flour
- 1/2 cup rice flour
- 1 1/2 tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 3 tbsp melted butter
- toppings: grated cheddar cheese, salted eggs
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add in the coconut milk and melted butter and mix together.
- Sift together glutinous rice flour, rice flour, baking powder, and salt and add these to the rest of the ingredients in the bowl. Whisk everything together until there are no more lumps.
- Pour the bibingka batter into small bibingka molds lined with banana leaves. Fill up to ¾ of the mold.
- Top with grated cheese and salted egg.
- Spread some butter on top while it’s still hot.
- Serve with more grated cheese on top.